Sunday, December 13, 2009

Miracle On North Temple

SCROLL DOWN TO THE LAST POST SO YOU KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON FIRST.
Photobucket
After the Friday night disappointment, Rhett felt so bad, he arranged with his Mom to watch RJ and came up early from his weekend plans. He wanted to take be to SLC to try to get into the Christmas Concert from the standby line. We have been able to get in waiting in line in years past.

I was happy he was willing to do that for me, he is a really good husband...probably a lot better than I deserve. So we drove up to Salt Lake and had dinner at Little America Hotel. It was delicious. Really delicious.

We went to where the standby line should be and a guy in charge explained that the Thurs. and Fri. night shows, no one got in from the standby line, and actually people with tickets that got there too late didn't get seats and ended up having to watch the concert broadcasted from the Tabernacle across the street. The standby line was in the pews of the tabernacle. So we got in "line" sitting in the tabernacle. We thought that since we were there early, we might as well try to get some tickets people have extra...like Molly did the night before since the mess that prevented us from going. So I made a little sign that said:

NEED 2 TICKETS PLEASE.

I stayed in the tabernacle, saving our spot, and Rhett went to the streets. I was there a while, wondering if we'd get in at all. This year Temple Square doesn't have as many lights, and they turn them on later (after 6pm) and turn them off earlier, so I was sitting there looking out the windows, waiting for the lights to turn on, when my phone rang.

It was Rhett: "We're in! I have 2 tickets!"

A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!!!

I jumped up off the pew and practically danced out of the tabernacle, I was so thrilled I was trying to walk fast, but was almost trotting. Then the Christmas lights turned on! MORE MAGIC. I was kind of trotting down the hill of the Conference center and saw Rhett in the distance with the tickets, and the lights were all on around us, and I was going to see the concert after all!!
It was just like the scene in Meet Me In St. Louis. I couldn't go on Friday, go Grandpa (rhett) saved the night, or tried to by taking me Saturday. We were having a great night, dinner, spending time together, then when Grandpa (rhett) got tickets, it was just like the scene when they dance behind the huge Christmas tree, and come out the other side, but Ester's not dancing with Grandpa, it's JOHN TRUETT (rhett)!!! Except rather than dancing around a Christmas tree, I was running down a hill to see my John Truett with tickets!

Here we are right after we got together, he still has the tickets out. Apparently the little sign worked, Rhett said a guy walked by and put them in his hand and didn't even stop or anything, all the sudden the tickets were in Rhett's hand and the guy was gone, he couldn't even say thanks. So we were pumped.



The miracle tickets were in the balcony, but we were so early, we got the best seats in our section, and in the Conference Center, you can see pretty good from anywhere. I was really excited, can you tell?

The show was amazing and exceeded my high expectations. I was hoping Natalie Cole would sing "The Christmas Song" since her dad's version is the best version. That was great. Everything was great. I really loved "The Holly and the Ivy". The first verse was an just acoustic guitar and Natalie--amazing! It was all so great and touching, fun, and made Christmas great. Rhett's favorite was "For Unto Us A Child Is Born" from Handel's Messiah, which was amazing. MoTab is so amazing, it's such a blessing to live nearby to have a chance to hear it live. And such a blessing to have a husband that loves me so much.

It was a really warm evening, snow was on the ground, Christmas lights were on, and we walked around and reminisced. Like this is me standing where I dropped Rhett on his butt when we were just friends, but I was totally in love with him and he didn't know it. click to read more on that story



It was such a wonderful night. With such a wonderful husband. The spoiled little brat got to ride the Christmas pony and meet the Sugarplum Fairy after all. But at least I feel like a grateful spoiled little brat.


And to finish this off if you made it this far through, a really creepy Santa store window we walked by, you know how I love creepy mannequins. Especially creepy Christmas mannequins.


My favorite were his ankle ruffles. Glitter? Ruffles? Lace? Maybe this is a gender confused Jack Frost rather than Santa.

7 comments:

melody said...

Oh, I am so happy for you! I first read the previous post (it was showing up on my Bloglines) and thought, "What a bummer. I wish I had known and given her our Sunday morning tickets we couldn't use." But then I thought, "No, what's the point. I'll just sympathize."

So you can imagine my surprise when I read the current post! I understand how you (and Judy Garland) feel. Jonny and I LOVE this concert and have only missed one in the past six years. (Luckily my aunt is in the choir so we usually get hook-ups with the tickets.) Anyway, we went Thursday night and enjoyed it immensely as well. My three favorites were the same that you mentioned. And I thought the organ solo was quite clever and amazing.

So, to end this long comment, I am glad you are having yourself a Merry little Christmas.

Marianne said...

Ha ha... I loved your face in the pictures. A look of pure, child-like delight:)

melody said...

Oh, one more thing. Jonny and I can't stop doing a certain dance move from the concert. Arms bent with flat hands meeting in the middle, rapidly swing arms (from elbows down) out and back.

You DO know that I am talking about, right?

Amber said...

Yeah, I am so glad you got to go!!! Christmas will be complete now!!!

Kassie said...

You deserve to be spoiled. Good Boy Rhett.

jayne said...

Jess--this post made me cry. I'm blaming it on age. And that dreams really can still come true. Maybe I'm in a judy garland movie right now? Glad you got to enjoy your night. Rhett Rocks!

Katherine said...

What a great story!! I'm so glad you got to go. And I forgot how much we both love Meet Me in St. Louis. That is like my favorite movie EVER. When Judy Garland sings "have yourself a merry little christmas" it's like the weirdest combination of emotions- I'm happy, nostalgic, and depressed all at the same time. You and Rhett are so cute. I'm so glad it worked out so you could go. Oh and you are so not spoiled!