Sunday, May 3, 2009

Awesome Weekend

RJ on Grandpa's junk truck

We went to Delta for the weekend, our niece, Brinley was getting baptized. Friday night we played night games in the grease woods (sagebrush fields) and that was a blast, as always.
Saturday was Brin's baptism and it was great, I had to speak on the Holy Ghost and for some reason, my whole talk I had the crackly cry voice. It was so annoying because I wasn't emotional and fighting back tears--I guess my nervousness manifest itself as the "cry voice" THE WHOLE TALK. I felt like Jerry Seinfeld when he cried, exclaiming: "What is this salty discharge?" Crying with no reason to, but in my case, cry voice with no reason for it. Anyway, it was great--(the baptism, not my talk). The afternoon we hung out.
Here is RJ and his fan club:

















Saturday night the older nephews, and Brooklyn, 5th grade, went with Rhett and I to see X-Men: Origins, Wolverine. IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!

Let me preface my short movie review with my X-men fan status. I did not read the comic books, but I was loyal to the TV animated cartoon series, setting my alarm every Saturday to wake up for x-men. Cartoon x-men was the only common ground my older brother and I had between each other. For those 30 minutes every Saturday our chronic feud would have to be set aside as we united to enjoy our favorite comic cartoon. (We did also unite as teens for MST3K)
I loved it because it was a child version soap opera with all the romance, plus they are super heroes with powers. I love x-men...I'm still mad my mom never invested in the sheets for my bed. I don't feel I'm a true fan without x-men sheets.

That being said, I was pumped for this movie for a few reasons. It was Wolverine's history, but my biggest reason was my favorite x-man was finally making it in the films:
GAMBIT
My favorite x-man, who hooked up with my favorite x-chick: Rogue in the cartoon. (Rogue in the film is lame compared with the cartoon) So finally Gambit would make his place in x-men. From the opening credits to the end I loved it. At certain points I was clapping and dancing in my seat I was so excited. Rhett leaned over and told to remind me to act my age, someone was just decapitated and I was joyfully clapping in delight. It was so fun, it was like I was 10 again. I love feeling 10.
The movie has received some poor reviews, but I loved it. Gambit's character met my expectations, I just wish he played a more vital role in the movie.

Anyway, after the movie I was so giddy and hyper, my nephews and I were in a huddle in the lobby of the theatre discussing all our x-men knowledge. I had to explain that where this movie left off, the 1st movie X-Men begins, and we all decided we had to watch that movie to continue with the story as the real adult in the group herded us out to the cars.
In Delta the only business open at 11:00pm is 7-11. It was fate working in our favor, because 7-11 had x-Men to buy for cheap. Also, while the boys were looking at something, Brooklyn and I ran to get a Slurpee and what flavor did they have? MUTANT BLAST, a promo for the movie we had just watched, so of course we both immediately filled our cups with red slurpee without test-tasting the flavor. We were now returning home on a movie high and a sugar high, when our PT Cruiser stopped running by McDonald's. Our nephew Dallin was following us in his huge black truck, so Jared, Brooklyn & I hopped in the back of the truck to ride the rest of the way home while Rhett kept working on the car. We were laughing and yelling as we broke the law as passengers in the bed of a truck and shot this photo:

We were up late watching X-Men, and had such a great time. I came home to tell all my family about x-men, getting overly excited about it when Lynette stopped me and said: "I can tell this movie was like you were 5 again." It was that great. Childhood magic at the Plaza Twin Theatre in Delta Utah. Am I lame?

Don't tell me, I don't care.

I'm trying to schedule the next time I can go down there to watch X2: X-Men United and X-Men 3: The Last Stand with the kids.
Want to watch the x-men cartoons online?
Want Gambit's official bio?
Want to buy me the animated x-men series on DVD?
(Oh, don't forget Volume 2)
Want me to shut up about x-men?

6 comments:

Natalie said...

I am so jealous you have seen the movie already--I am dying to see it!

Kassie said...

I, also, LOVED IT!! But, not also, did not know all the Xmen jazz. I do, also, love feeling 10years old.

Jessica the Jacked LDS said...

i feel really worried about you and this addiction. i watched good morning america where they talked about having "soft" addictions and wanna know what i think?

i think you have a HARD addiction. that sounds super scandalous, but i kinda like it.

Jessica the Jacked LDS said...

ps...i think ur sister lynette is a doll and i wanna pinch her bum.

summer sends me the links to all her videos with her hub and i love it. she's adorable. please pass it on. and pinch her bum for me.

Breezer said...

I watched all the cartoons and read some of the comics, so I'm right there with you! Gambit was my favorite too and I can't wait to see the movie. No sheets, but my checks are currently X-Men. I just wrote across Beast's face. Miss working with you! Bree

Sarah said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who LOVES X-Men. And yes, they shoulda had more Gambit, but still freakin' awesome nonetheless.