Sunday, May 17, 2009

Blackberry Citrus Rolls

I LOVE SWEET ROLLS. Cinnamon rolls, orange rolls, etc.


I love these particular rolls in the summer. The combo of lemon & blackberries is delicious. I've also made these with blueberries instead of blackberries and that is good too.

Blackberry Citrus Rolls

DOUGH
1/4 c. warm water
2 1/2 tsp yeast
spoon of sugar
1 c. warm milk
2 eggs
1/3 c. margarine, melted
1 tsp salt
1/2 c. sugar
4 1/2 c. flour

FILLING
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 1/2. c. sugar
zest of 1 orange
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 to 1 c. blackberries, quartered length-wise

GLAZE
juice of 1 orange
1 T fresh lemon juice
2 1/2 to 3 c. powdered sugar

Let water, teaspoon of sugar and yeast froth until doubled. Add remaining ingredients and mix/ knead until soft dough forms. Additional flour may be required, add a little at a time until dough begins to clean side of mixing bowl. Place in greased bowl and cover with greased plastic wrap. Let rise until double, about 1 hour. Punch down and knead air bubbles out. Roll out into rectangle.

Spread 1/2 c. butter over dough evenly. Mix the sugar and orange/lemon zest in bowl. Spread sugar mixture over butter evenly. Sprinkle your quartered berries over dough. Roll up on long side into a long tube, wrapping the berries in tightly as you go.

Slice into 2" segments and place in greased 9x13 pan. Cover with plastic wrap again, let rise about 45 min or so until the rolls start poking out the top into volcano shapes.
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
Makes 12 rolls.
Mix juices with powdered sugar to form glaze. Drizzle over rolls after they've cooled 10-15 minutes.

6 comments:

Staci said...

oh my gosh my mouth is watering. I wish i lived closer to you so i can come over and eat all your delicious food, b/c why make it myself. I will keep this recipe though.

Mr. Dean R. Kelly said...

looks divine...will have to try it.

Natalie said...

THESE LOOK INCREDIBLE!!!!

Stephanie Kelly said...

I know Stac...I do live close to her. I do need to just pop over and eat all your food anyways. It's ok you wont even know I'm there!

Natalie said...

Made these today: a keeper! Thanks for sharing!

***** said...

making those for SUnday morning. I have been wanting sweet rolls for weeks now. Thanks for the recipe and the sweet motivation! loves to you!