Sunday, June 8, 2008

Is Gluttony A Sin?


Rhett and I are on our way to becoming "the fat family". He's always talked about how he wanted to be the fat family...you know, the family in the neighborhood where all the kids are obese and everyone just wears elastic-ankle sweat pants? Well we are on our way there unless I change our diets.
For some reason the last couple of days, I've made crap. Last night we had grilled hot dogs for dinner. Our local grocery store has a grill out front and the crispy hot dogs smelled really good. Tonight I made homemade mac-n-cheese. And to top it off, amazing Katherine's Lemon Drop Cookies. Now these are worth being the fat family, so click here for her recipe and it would do you well to check out her other recipes if you like good food. Lemon zest, chunks of lemon drop candies, and a lemon glaze make these cookies irrisistable. It makes a ton, which Rhett and I would eat ourselves, so I only make half of the recipe. The only ingredient that doesn't halve evenly are the eggs, I just use one extra-large egg in place of the 3 eggs called for. Also, you do need to bake them on parchment paper, the candy melts and will stick right to your pan. I also keep the lemon glaze you brush on the cookies pretty thin. My favorite part about making these cookies is pulverizing the lemon drop candies in the food processor...I don't know why that is fun to me. I also made them extra small, thinking I would eat less since they would be smaller...BAD IDEA. What has happened they are unintentionally "bite-size" so I pop one...or two...or three...in my mouth each time I pass through the kitchen.
So hopefully tomorrow I'll be better and refrain from cooking a three-year-old's dream diet for the two eating adults in our family.

4 comments:

Sheila said...

I just about made these cookies today! I have this bag of lemons from costco and have been doing fresh lemonaide. I found lemon drops at Walgreens, so bought 3 boxes. Haven't used them yet, but the picture looks so good I may have to do them tomorro,

Natalie said...

Do you have any left?......I'll be right over!

Unknown said...

I laughed out loud at your post, because I can so easily relate. The only difference in our house is that I have a husband who cannot get fat (it's terribly annoying) no matter how much crap we eat. Frozen pizzas and homemade mac and cheese are classic stand-bys for us. So pretty much we're half a fat family - like Jack Spratt and his tubby girlfriend.

Tara said...

These look SO yummy! Nice job on the photography. I wandered to your blog off Steph Toland's. (we live in the same town as Steph, and our HT is a Crapo). Your blog is really cute! I can appreciate your feelings about moving, completly! Good luck with the move. -Tara