Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Boards, Anniversary, and Church History

Rhett is done taking his boards! We are so glad they are over, and the 6-week wait has begun to get the results.
Monday was our 4 year anniversary!
Time has flown. We've done a lot of fun things these four years we've been married. We've been blessed to have gone on some fun trips, the big ones being Hawaii and Italy. We were really excited to celebrate our 4th anniversary finally having a little one to celebrate with! We look back on our years as just a couple it was a great time in our marriage. We appreciate all the experiences, opportunities to grow together, and all the fun we had, and look forward to the years ahead as parents.

Thinking back to our wedding, it was one of the greatest days of my life. It was a completely stress free wedding, for me at least. Early in my adolescence my parents prepped their daughters that we would have a wedding budget and what we chose to do with that was our choice... their hidden wish that we would take the cash and spare them of planning and hosting a reception.which I did. So not having a reception put a lot of wedding stress out the window. It was awesome for me, I'm sure this wouldn't have been ideal for a lot of brides but we loved it. I did want a wedding dress, so my Mom slaved to make me my gown, and I wanted pictures outside the temple after our marriage, and if I had to do it all over again we'd get a different photographer. He was a college mate of my Dad's and what a freak...he was really flamboyant and we weren't too pleased with the results, but live and learn. I also may have done my hair different if I was married tomorrow, and one thing for sure...
I WOULD HAVE MY NAILS DONE!
Like I mentioned previously, I had zero stress with the whole wedding thing. I didn't really care about too much, I was so happy to be marrying Rhett I didn't think some things through...like the fact I have really unattractive nails. Anyone close to me has probably heard of my frog fingers, which means the ends of my fingers have these bulbs of fat that wrap up around my nail beds, suffocating my nails in flesh. Also, my nails are thin, flexible and peel easily. All my life I've been a nail biter. Wretched, I know. My Dad would tell me I need to stop biting my nails because they "look like weevils have gnawed them off". This nail history established, I think the idea of getting artificial nails for my wedding crossed my mind. But then I brushed the idea away because that was much higher maintenance than I was used to, I'd have to get them off before I started clinicals in the hospital the following month, money I didn't want to "waste" on something so temporary, and I knew having artificial nails would pretty much handicap me--like having fins for hands. So the fleeting idea of getting my nails done left my mind and I wish someone had talked some sense into me so I wouldn't have this awesome photo in our wedding album:
That is right. My nails were obviously so atrocious, the photographer FIRST, put Rhett's hand on top to showcase the rings. SECONDLY, cut off my fingertips completely. Isn't this the most awkward version of the cliche ring shot of all time??? I remember when he was taking this, it was awkward positioning our hands, and this just looks ridiculous thanks to me and my negligence. But somehow this shot suits me--awkward, unattractive, preventable--and the occasional browse through our wedding album always cracks us up when we come across this amazing gem. It looks like Satin Hands Crapo did marry that Kelly She-Troll.
I really do love my ring though...I wouldn't change that if I were married tomorrow. I would just have fake nails so you and the camera could handle viewing the distal end of my hand.
This weekend we also took the opportunity to go to the west Missouri church sites: Far West, Independence, Adom-ondi-ahman and Liberty Jail. The weather was nice and we had a good experience. Our favorite was liberty jail, which is the photo of the wax guys up above. Rhett had never been to the sites, and it was a great reminder for both of us of the sacrifice of the early members of our church, and increased our gratitude for them and all they endured. The other photo of the two Rhetts is Adam-ondi-ahman.

2 comments:

Kassie said...

You crack me up! Baby RJ is getting big already!!

Sheila said...

Love to have a good laugh and you always come through! "Satin hands obvoiusly picked a great "she-troll".