Sunday, June 8, 2008

Counting Down...it is bittersweet

My grandma sent me this postcard. I thought it was a hilarious perspective of Missouri moving skills.
We have 5 Sundays left living in Missouri before we move home.
I am dreading the moving process, but we are used to it, having moved every year of our marriage.
I am dreading leaving all the good friends I've made in Kirksville. We've grown very close being in the same situations as struggling med student families away from family. The majority of the major holidays these past few years were spent here with our friends, Easter, Thanksgiving, etc. since we were only able to go home 3 occasions in the two years. So I will definitely miss many of these awesome women and it will be hard to say goodbye and know we most likely will see them in 2010 at graduation but other than that, never again potentially.
I am dreading some aspects of moving back to Utah...I think anyone who's lived in Utah county knows what I'm talking about.
I am excited to be done with the Midwest climate...back to the desert where the bugs are scarce, the heat is dry and there are mountains all around.
I am excited to be close to family. We have grown a lot being away from both of our families these last two years, but we are so grateful we have the opportunity to live among them or at least closer to them for two years before we will most likely move again for residency and probably settle down in a different state.
I am excited my family will be able to enjoy our son for the first two years of his life rather than living off the blog and webcam (which are awesome).
I am excited to be close to civilization, stores other than Wal-Mart will be great. I have learned to appreciate suburbia.
I am excited to start the second half of med-school which most wives say is easier than the first two.
I am excited to just have the feeling of being "home" for the next two years.
It's been a great experience for us to live 1200 miles from any of our family. We've grown closer and I think it is beneficial for anyone to have time early in their marriage to grow and solidify as an independent family...but man I'm glad to have at least two years back near family before we move far away again.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

It is crazy thinking back over the past couple years......I can't believe how much has happened and I don't know what I'm going to do without you.

Katherine said...

I don't want you to go!! I wish you didn't have to. :(

rebecca said...

Yay :) I'm glad you are moving this way :) At about this time last year, we started listening to Chris Daughtry's song, Going Home. And as we pulled out of Kirksville we blasted it. Kordin even sings it still :) Check it out and it could be your theme song too :)