Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Hair Shouldn't Be A Spontaneous Decision

I needed a haircut.  I'm really bad about having regular haircuts.  I usually go 6 months...or more.  Gross? Maybe.  I am low maintenance especially with hair.  The part of my every-day routine that comes to doing something with my rat brown hair gags me.  I dread doing my hair every day.  After I'm finished, I always think how that was such a waste of my time.  And my hair rarely takes over 10 minutes total.  I can't imagine those women who have long hair that gets round brush dried for an over half an hour every day.  I couldn't stand that.  I'm sure for a lot of people, it's fun to style your hair and you feel nice and pretty.  Usually the rare occasions I fix my hair, which for me means something other than a ponytail, I regret "fixing" it because it's down and in my face and bothering me.  Thus Sundays, the hair goes right back up in a ponytail after church.

So this is my hair history.  Lived in slicked buns for a few years, then transferred to daily pony tails.  Twice in my adult life I cut it to just below my chin, still long enough for a half ponytail or at least pig tails.

So last night.  My mom and I were together getting our hair cut.  As I was waiting my turn, I was flipping through the magazine and saw this photo. 

I thought it was so cute.  The next magazine I looked through had it again.  Between getting blond highlights and maybe the chemicals intoxicating my better judgement, I told her to hack off all the rat to make it look like the photo. 

I left and knew it was a mistake.  First of all, it didn't look like the photo.  I don't know if it's the cut or my hair, or what.  We got in the car and my mom could tell I hated it.  She said: "Jess, are you going to cry?" That made me laugh.  Cry? Over hair?  "I think I cried over a haircut when I was 12 mom, but this is just hair.  It will grow back and I looked pretty crappy all the time before.  So now I'll look pretty crappy with short hair.  Not that big of a difference probably."

We got home.  Here are the reactions.
my dad, Scott:
I turned the corner: "I do NOT like that.  Do you know who you look like?  That lesbian in the movie John Q that is girlfriends with Ellen Degeneres."  We all laughed and my mom said: "Scott. She does not."  I turned around to walk out of the room.  Scott added: "And the back looks like a dog butt."  More laughing from everyone, including me.

my husband, Rhett.
He was upstairs studying.  I knocked on the door and said: "You want to see my new haircut?  It's pretty dramatic."
Rhett: "Dramatic?  Why didn't you ask me what I thought before you did something serious."
Me: "I didn't think you'd care, you never have cared before when I cut my hair."
Rhett: "Well I do when it's dramatic."
I opened the door.
Rhett: turns head to one side deciding how to say....."I....am. . . not a fan."

I'd always been so lame with my hair my whole life, I'd never really had anything risky done.  I was 21 before I ever put any color on it, and then it was highlights that were barely noticable. 

So this was out of control for my hair history.  I just hope I can figure it out to make it cute or at least a step up from:
"DOG-BUTT LESBIAN HAIR MASSACRE"


As we were chatting later in the night, I was telling Rhett all the positive things about the haircut.
-only 2 minutes to wash and condition
- only a few minutes to blow dry
-so nice to not have hair in my face ever
-nice not to have hair long enough to get yanked and pulled anymore
-nice to have no hair on my neck for summer, cool
-nice to be able to get it ready really quick,
Rhett interupted: "so you can just wake up and it will look the same as when you fix it fresh"
ME: exactly.  Bed head all the time and loving it.
-won't have to mess with elastics or bobby pins or any of that crap

Rhett:  So do you think all these pros that have to do with low maintentance make up for all the cons dealing with how bad it looks?

Me:  Hmmm.  For other people probably not worth it.  But for me, I think I'll end up liking the dog butt.


So I'm glad I was raised to not care about appearance.  There's definitely a balance, you should try to look nice and present yourself well, and I could use more of this motivation and talent.  But on the other side, you can care too much about how you look and how other people think you look.  A bad haircut ruining your life?  Not that big of a deal.  This was actually really funny, all night everyone kept coming up with great hair jokes, but too many to keep writing them.  But it's just hair, and anyone who would really look down on a poor fashionless girl like me for having dog butt hair...well I wouldn't want you for a friend anyway vain pants, so maybe it's better I busted out some bo-daggit hair to see who really likes me for me.

Just kidding.  It's not that dramatic.  I feel like my friends are solid whatever my hair looks like....I hope.  Rhett actually said today he may like it too once he gets used to it.

Dog Butt UPDATE:
Went back to fix some things that I really did hate and I'm liking it a lot better now.  My dad said the dog butt is gone.  I think it's a little short from the photo, so in about 3 weeks it will be longer and  hopefully I'll have figured out to make it a little closer to what I originally planned.  So we'll do the best with what we've got here.

So anyone who is into hair and knows their stuff.  Please study the magazine photo and tell me how to mimic the look as best I can.
Small words and many steps would be best.

11 comments:

Staci said...

hahah ok i was cracking up when i read this b/c i just cut moms hair the other day and she hasn't dyed it in forever so it had patches of gray which made the cut look weird and BROOKS said the back looks like "A DOGS BUTT"! Our dads must of had a bad dogs butt hair fear growing up or something. I honestly think you can pull anything off....own it girl short rocks.

Megan and Taj said...

I will never forget when I was in Jr. high and all I wanted was the "meg ryan" hair cut, you know the one from You've Got Mail... I must confess that when I left the hair dresser I cried my eyes out. My little brother brought it to my attention that the back resembled that of a duck's butt. I was laughing so hard when I read your post! Deja Vu.. I actually think it looks dang cute on you btw! You are gorgeous, so you can pretty much pull off anything!!

Erin said...

Another occasion when Scott's reaction was priceless. I think you look great with short hair! Truly. And here's the thing--you will learn to style it how you like. Haircuts are always best a couple weeks later, and I've had a lot of short haircuts. Plus, the growing out process will let you figure out exactly what length of hair you prefer. (since you've got a ways to go before its long again.) Cheers to spontaneity!

John, Jess, Ellie, Cade, Eden & Scarlett said...

Okay, so it's a little shocking because it's a change, but honestly, I think you look gorgeous! Once you get used to it and styling it, and when your family gets used to it :), I'm sure you'll have more positive feelings towards it.
I can relate to the spontaneous hair disaster though--I did that right after we moved to Kirksville and got to meet everyone with ugly hair! I've always wanted to go really short but haven't had the guts since that disaster. Maybe you'll inspire me!

melody said...

Oh man, you are hilarious. And so honest. I love your pros list. After reading that I feel like going out to get my hair cut just as short. Good luck as you adjust to a new style! You are much braver than I may ever be. And I agree with the others - you will definitely be able to pull it off.

Stephanie Kelly said...

hahah you are wonderful!!! I don't think it looks bad at alll...and I agree the hair NEVER looks like the pictures EVER!! I have a small envy on people who cut their hair really short (like my sisters). I never have the balls. But lastly I have been obsesssssssing over the Mia Farrow pixie look and wants someone to cut it that way just so I get my pixie fix; and that way I don’t have to do it HA. If you get sick of this hair do...do the Mia Farrow pixie....DOOOO IT!

Marianne said...

I have always wished I had the guts to cut my hair that short. I think it's awesome!

Journey to Mia Lynn: said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kassie said...

JESS!! I LOVE EXCITING CHANGE THAT DOESN'T DO PERMANENT HARM!!! Like moving to Idaho!!!

You'll love it as soon as you're comfortable with it, get to know it better, begin play with it a little more often, etc. Just as you fall in love with any other thing at first...it needs time and attention. It's like dating.

I'm proud of you. I really do think you'll like it soon. And, bottom line, this is as spontaeous and dramatic as a married woman can get.

Natalie said...

HILARIOUS POST!!! (as usual) I admire your bravery and non-trauma attitude about hair because I am a total "girl" about my hair..... you already know that. I am excited to see it and you always look like a babe. Your Dad's reaction had me rolling!

jayne said...

I'm excited to see it in real life in 2 1/2 weeks!!!! Wahoo! Vegas baby!