Sunday, March 7, 2010

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing


One of my favorite hymns, sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  I love this song because it appeals to most Christians I think, needing Christ to intervene or rescue our souls through His mercy and love.  I also really identify the feelings of being prone to wander and leave the Lord I love and being disapointed in yourself, and just having the deepest desire of your heart to wise up and give your heart to the Master, looking to Him as the Supreme example, struggling to do that fully the throughout your whole life. 
I'm not muscially inclined, and don't have a great understanding of poetry, and there are actually few hymns that I love, but this is one that I get.  Hope if you take the time to listen you like it to, if you don't already know it.

Come, thou Fount of every blessing,
tune my heart to sing thy grace;
streams of mercy, never ceasing,
call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
mount of thy redeeming love.


Here I raise mine Ebenezer;
hither by thy help I'm come;
and I hope, by thy good pleasure,
safely to arrive at home.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
here's my heart, O take and seal it,
seal it for thy courts above.

Jesus sought me when a stranger,
wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
interposed his precious blood.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
here's my heart, O take and seal it,
seal it for thy courts above.


O to grace how great a debtor
daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy goodness, like a fetter,
bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
here's my heart, O take and seal it,
seal it for thy courts above.
Seal it for thy courts above.

In case you were like me and were thinking "Ebenezer? Scrooge?"  I looked it up and found it is a reference to 1 Samuel 7:12. where Samuel set a stone as a testament that God had helped them, thus in the song "Hither by thy help I'm come"

Also what is a fetter?  1. A chain or shackle for the ankles or feet.
2. Something that serves to restrict; a restraint.
I thought that was interesting imagery, but I'm no English major to elaborate on anything, I just like the song and its message, it's really inspiring to me.

3 comments:

Marianne said...

this my favorite song... I sang it at my brother's farewell. What would you say to a get together with husbands? you could meet mine, I could meet yours, etc.

melody said...

Oh, this is such a beautiful song, and so full of truth. Thanks for the insight into some of the lyrics. And thanks for the link. I could listen to this all day.

Sheila said...

This has been my favorite since who knows when. It always gets me because it seems I'm always wandering away when I really want to do good. "The spirit is willing but the flesh is week."