Sunday, September 27, 2009

My Exercise Update...Not That You Really Care

Well things have been going pretty well considering, last Monday I couldn't run 1/4 mile, and then, what I did run, made me gasping, sputtering for air, and looking completely pathetic. In fact, I felt sick-ish the rest of that day. I thought how exercise was to help you feel good and energized, and my little stunt that morning left me feeling pretty weird and yucky.

But thanks to everyone's comments and tips, I have stuck with it. My favorite was probably Jayne who said: "If you hate running, don't do it." and to choose something else. Wise. But I think I hate it because I've never got over the initial pathetic stage.

So I'm trying to use every one's advice and I've been following this beginners running schedule. It's pretty slow, taking 2 months to jog 30 minutes straight, but I think I need such baby steps. For example, this week I'd jog 1 min. then walk 1 min. for a total of 30 minutes. Pretty weak sauce for real runners, but this was easy enough I did it every day the schedule told me to, but I'm so out of shape, even this made me push myself. I don't think I've kept my heart rate up for 30 minutes for over 6 years. So this is going good. Oddly enough, the friend, Jessica G. that commented this running schedule, also was the person that sold me her jogging stroller. We did a trade/buy before we moved from Kirksville. At the time as I discussed purchasing the stroller, Rhett kind of smirked. I asked what was that? And he pointing out that since he's known me, I've jogged 3 times. So I explained I may jog with it, or just use it for off-roading walks or something. So it may be a year later, but I'm glad I have it, because RJ likes coming along when I go, and it doesn't give me an excuse not to go since I don't need a babysitter.

So thanks to everyone, and look out Rhett's gut! And I can't imagine anyone as pathetically out of shape as myself, but if anyone is, you might want to try that schedule too. Then tell me about it so I can be motivated by you, since I have a history of exercise failure. I did like in the short article before the schedule it said running up to the first 2 miles will always be the hardest two miles in your life. These may be the only 2 miles of my life, but I'd like to at least achieve that.

No comments: