Saturday, June 6, 2009

Girls Camp

I'm the Beehive Advisor and we had Girl's Camp up at Heber Valley Camp. It is a huge area owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints specifically for girl's camp. It was really fun and a great facility.



Why Girls Camp Was Awesome:
-Camping at the Mariott: there were nice cabins, with electricity, heated bathrooms, showers, refrigerators, etc. Basically the only sense of camping was cooking outdoors and seeing deer walk through your camp. The worst is when you're camping and you wake up in the wee hours of the morning and have to pee, creeping out in the cold, dreading having to pull down your pants. But with nice heated bathrooms, it's actually nicer than home.
-No Girl Drama: Our group was small, only 15 girls but I wasn't aware of one cat fight, feeling left out, gossip, hurt feelings, cliches, etc. WOW. That was what I was dreading the most. I don't tolerate girl crap very well. Everyone got along and had fun. It was a good group
-Gourmet Food: For camping, we ate well. Orange rolls, Cafe Rio Salads, great dutch ovens, pancakes with all the toppings, and much more. We ate a lot and it was all so good.
-Pretty Scenery: It was really pretty. There was a lake. The girls paddled canoes and the leaders had paddle boats in case the girls fell in and needed rescuing. I was glad I was a leader, because we all knew the paddle boats were better than a canoe.
-Fun: The girls in our troop were so much fun. Lots of times I'd have to remind myself I was neglecting my duties just chatting it up with the kids. They were really funny.
The leaders were really fun too. I was assigned to plan/execute the skit for the leaders (8 women between the ages 24 and probably close to 50). I had told them in our last meeting it would be a chant we clap and walk to telling them about each of us. But my Mom convinced me that would be lame and not funny enough, so we co-wrote "The Girls Camp Rap" the night before we left. I called all the ladies around 9:30pm to tell them the change of plans and to pack a gangster outfit with plenty of bling for our skit. They were great sports and I was impressed with the gang signs they knew...just kidding, as if I know any either. But I definitely saw a different side of some of them in our rehearsals for sure.
-We Saw The General Young Women's President: Elaine Dalton came up the first night because there was a special ceremony unfurling a new flag at the camp. They added the gold flag, representing the new YW Value: VIRTUE. It was spiritual and exciting to see/meet the pres and be there for the special event.
-Zipline Swing Thing: They have this big challenge course with different tasks to teach teamwork and leadership. Our course had this huge swing where you are in a harness and they pull you forward about 25-30' in the air and let you swing. I watched all the girls go, thinking it's much funner if you are a kid at girls camp, but they let some leaders so too. So never mind. I got to ride the swing and had a paddle boat.
-Cute Sweats: The theme for our group was "Stand Out" and we all had matching hoodies and sweat pants. I don't ever remember getting anything when I was growing up.
So all in all, it was pretty great. But I am glad it's over and I missed my two Rhetts a lot.
Oh. and Terrilynn, I saw your mom up there. She says hi and I can just imagine her being such a great missionary for the camp.

3 comments:

Mysha said...

I've been greatly anticipating this post, and while I was hoping for a hilarious story about you getting tied up or something, I'm glad everything went well and that you had fun. But never bad mouth canoeing! Your blog is so great do you think I could be a sponsor?

melody said...

That DOES sound awesome. I am in YW in my ward too. I am totally bummed I can't go to camp due to my little one who can't be without "the dairy queen," as Jonny says. Our stake is going to Heber Valley Camp as well so it was fun to see some pics and get an idea of what it might be like for them. Glad you had a good time! I am sure the girls love you. (I can just picture you doing some Crocodile Hunter impressions out there in the wild. Ha!) Now that I know Mysha still exists, I believe some kind of reunion/party is in order...

***** said...

*It looks like such a great Girls Camp. The wierdness after girls camp...totally! Why did we act silly like that?
*I have to say I am totally jealous of the abundant comfort you enjoyed there. Those girls are so pampered there in UT. Luckys.
*Looks like it was gorgeous.
*You're so cute in the sweats...look how long your arms are! Lovely.
*The gangsta phots are treasures. Love them, own it!