Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Ultimate Fort

Last week the kids and I made the ultimate fort. Using 3 couches, ottoman, a dining set, and every blanket/quilt in the house, we ended up with a 6 room fort. IT WAS AWESOME. It was up for 3 days, the kids slept in it and loved it.

My favorite experience with the hut was the first afternoon. I had brought one of my favorite books, The Twits by my favorite author, Roald Dahl. It is short and really funny for kids. We had two big bowls of popcorn in the hut and would read a little chapter and pass it to the next person to read.
I remember laying on the floor, looking up at the quilt ceiling, where you can see the different shapes and colors lit up--kind of like a fabric stained glass window, listening to my nieces or nephew read, all the kids giggling and chomping on popcorn, and it was so fun. I love these childhood magical moments and it's just as magical to me as an adult looking around at the kids as it was when I was 8 years old.

My favorite passage in this book is:
"Mrs. Twit came back and climbed into her bed and put out the light. She lay there in the dark scratching her tummy. Her tummy was itching. Dirty old hags like her always have itchy tummies."
We were all laughing so hard, at that point it was Brooklyn's turn and we had her read it over and over, busting up every time.





Just to let everyone, especially Kristi, know we cleaned up the fort in 30 minutes, all the blankets were nicely folded and replaced, and we vacuumed under all the couches, and it looks normal again. The kids hoped I'd let the fort stay up the whole time I'm here, but 3 days was a good life for the fort.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Seriously, those kids are going to be SO sad when you leave!