Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I'm Now Homer Simpson

This morning Rhett was getting ready for school and I woke up and he asked if I slept OK. I told him I was right in the middle of this dream:


For some reason I was in our local grocery store, HyVee. Spending the night, sleeping in the back room. I woke up and decided to stroll around the store and the bakery was just putting out their fresh doughnuts for the day. My favorite doughnuts are the old fashioned cake...I LOVE them. Anyway, I nonchalantly tried to stroll past to see how much they were. In my dream they were .79 each, I have no idea what a fresh doughnut at HyVee would cost me in real life. I had this inner debate about whether I could afford to spend almost a dollar on one doughnut, but it was worth it, so on my way back to the storage room to find my purse, I noticed a whole box of old fashioned doughnuts on a tall shelf priced for $1.00. HECK YES!! I was looking around for a ladder to get them down, when somehow I realized they were last nights left-over doughnuts an employee had set aside for themselves to buy when they got off work this morning. I was really disappointed. A whole box of doughnuts for $1.00!!! So I was headed back to the bakery when all the sudden Rhett called out my name from a check out line. I walked over to ask what he was doing and he was loading all this gourmet dog food onto the conveyor belt. "Why are you buying all this dog food? We don't have a dog or even know anyone with a dog." He explained he needed it for one of the clubs he was involved with at school--some fundraiser or something. For some reason this meant my .79 doughnut would have to stay at the bakery instead of my stomach. I stayed with Rhett and left with him without mentioning my doughnut because it was financially out of the question after the gourmet dog food purchase.

After telling my whole dream, Rhett laughed and went to school, and I kept thinking about doughnuts and realized that the budget is more of a stress in my life than I previously realized. And I realized each day Homer Simpson and I share more and more similarities. For now, I am Homer with the doughnuts, next will be all the hair loss after I deliver and shed half of my head....hopefully I will end up with more than two hairs and a zigzag though.

No comments: