Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Sofa Talk Blunder

The other night we ate dinner with friends. Our routine after any social gathering is the "drive home review" which consists of an evaluation of the things I shouldn't have said, and any potential offending I did. These sessions are usually constructive criticism and are initiated by my paranoia of getting out of control blabbing quite often and having Rhett to objectively point out things I can "improve" on. After 3 years of marriage these "what is socially acceptable" sessions are still necessary, but getting more brief.
This particular session evolved around my telling the same story too often. The "sweatshirt" story occurred last January and apparently it was so mortifying to me, I've shared it too much.

Rhett: "Maybe you could move on from that sweatshirt story. I've heard it a lot."

Jess: [flabbergasted] "Really? I tell that story a lot?"

Rhett: "All the time. I cringe when anyone mentions Sofa Talk because I know we can't move on until we hear the sweatshirt story."

The realization: I must be telling this story way too much if Rhett knows what Sofa Talk is, let a lone gags on it because he knows I feel I have to clear my name by telling the story over and over.

So here's the story one last time and then I shall never repeat it again. First of all, Sofa Talk is a club in SAA (med wife club) and it has different themes each month and is usually basically chat or games. The one and only time I went to Sofa Talk is my "sweatshirt story."

Natalie told me I should go with her to Sofa Talk. The theme was "bring something that represents something we wouldn't know about you." I thought about it and decided to wear a hooded sweatshirt from high school as an attempt to be funny.
We arrived and once the sharing began, I quickly realized my idea wasn't going to mesh with everyone else's, but what can you do. I was about half way down the line, and there were mainly crafty creations: wedding albums, scrapbooking projects, occasional videos. Natalie did bust out her knee surgery scars, so I thought my contribution wouldn't be the only one that didn't come leather bound and beautiful. I had kept my coat on to conceal my item. So as it got to my turn, I was nervous to realize the majority of the people didn't know me and I had something really stupid I wasn't at all proud of, but I thought I'd make the best of it and ham it up.

I began unzipping, explaining I brought something I made. "You made that coat?" "No I didn't, but..." with a little strip tease motion, off came the coat and there I was in a gray hooded sweatshirt. I proceeded to explain in high school I was kind of a nerd and started a chemistry club and made these sweatshirts, the best aspect being the VARSITY on the sleeve for those in A.P. Chemistry.
Natalie bust up laughing but no one else joined in. All the girls were interested and very nice, probably thinking--this girl has such a sad life. They politely asked questions, but none of them what I expected: "Did you major in Chemistry?" "Is it your favorite subject?" I was in a panic. No one knows I am kidding. Rather than shut up and let the next person share their wedding album, I kept elaborating on the chemistry club, the fact I like science, but not necessarily chemistry, the reason I made the Chemistry Club was the teacher was cool. My verbal diarrhea continued and I finally had to stop and move it on to the next person.
I was mortified. No one knew I was joking and now I'm known as the chick in love with chemistry and that is the best thing in my life people may not already know about. Great. I asked Natalie if she thought from everyone's reactions if they knew I was kidding, neither of us were sure. We asked a friend, Ashley, and she totally knew it was a joke...which made me feel better until recently.
A couple weeks ago, I had some friends over and a few were there that awful night. I guess Sofa Talk came up and I felt compelled to retell the story and it came out that they thought I was dead serious and proud of my chemistry accomplishments. AHHH! "Until this moment I thought you were completely serious." We busted up laughing, but since then I guess I feel self conscious for all those who also thought I was serious and the pure lameness I must be known for.

Well all around it is pretty funny and there is a lot of lameness to me, so this experience was not at all surprising. But now I can move on let my Sofa Talk blunder rest once and for all as I accept the fact my dorky past should not be shared and I should read before I go to events to know what they advertise to bring.

10 comments:

Emily said...

First of all, I just have to say that I embarrass myself all the time. In fact, I realized on Labor Day that I actually hadn't said anything to embarrass myself for once. usually one of my friends says something worse anyway. Just don't show your's any of our Brittany Spears music videos.

I happy to have found your blog too! It's so great to keep up with people this way. You are such a witty writer and I'll have a great time catching up.

Ashley said...

Oh, you're lucky you mentioned my name lady. Because I TOTALLY remember laughing that night at your high school glory days. It wasn't as bad as you remember :) But I like hearing it from your point of view--classic.

jayne said...

Jessica---I didn't know you loved Chemistry so much! Wow, you even started your own club with sweatshirts and everything........Funny girl. You are so hilarious. It's funny you and Rhett have conversations like this, because so do Shawn & I, only I'm the Rhett in ours.

Katherine said...

Hey! I totally remember laughing!! I thought it was hilarious when you started unzipping your jacket.

That said, I'm glad I'm not the only one with embarrassing moments!

Unknown said...

At least you went to sofa talk... I didn't just because I knew I would embarrass myself. Too bad I missed your sofa talk strip tease! That would have been worth going for!

The Wilkins' said...

Ah, how I love the sofa talk sweatshirt story. I wouldn't mind hearing it another 3 or 4 times.

Jordan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill said...

I hope you know who in the heck I am or else this is going to be really weird of me to comment. I remember that, I am a dork and took you seriously. I think it is really funny though in hindsight, I wish I wasn't so dense and would have caught on. I am the girl who showed off her sweet tattoo if that help to remind you who I am, I also gave you a table.

Sarah said...

I am so glad that you brought that item of all things. I still have that sweatshirt too. But, I like to make people think I am/was smart and don't care if I am a nerd.
PS - I work with your aunt Sheryl.

Sheen said...

This totally sounds like something I would do.

I missed your big sweatshirt debut, but for what it's worth, I think I would have gotten the joke. That's amazing.