Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Chicago

"If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy." -Jack Handey-

During the week break before Labor Day, we went to Chicago for 2 nights & 3 days. It's about 6 hours away and we took a train. We were at the train station at 6am and realized I didn't bring her purse...whenever I'm with Rhett I never take my purse, and this time it bit me in the butt...NO PHOTO ID.
So we were standing in the middle of Quincy at 6am not knowing if they would let me on the train. Rhett was surprisingly calm and emphasized the fact I shouldn't go on trips without ID. So all our bar and club hopping plans were out, and all my halters and strapless tops were packed for nothing, but the good news is they didn't check for ID to get on the train and we made it to the Windy City.

Our reflection in the Flight of the Navigator ship in Millenium Park
Chicago scape
Deep dish pizza...one slice filled us up, but we were able to jam down more
Rhett w/ Sue, the most complete T-Rex in THE WORLD
Some highlights were Chicago Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra's free concert in Millenium Park, Wicked on Broadway, Field Museum, Art Institute, Navy Pier, and of course all the great food. We had a lot of fun One the way back, we hit some bigger anti-ID issues. Grand Central Station are a little more strict than the shack in Quincy and they were checking photo ID prior to boarding the train. It came to us and Rhet handed our two tickets with his ID, and Betty, asked for mine. I was sweating. "I don't have it with me." Betty looked me up and down. "How old are you?" "Uh..22." Betty rolls her eyes and looks at us over her glasses: "Nowadays honey, you need to have ID WHEREEVER YOU GO. I'm not supposed to let you on this train." In my head...Thanks mom, but really I can't do anything about that now. "I'm sorry, but I don't have it with me, you guys let me on to get here from Quincy without it." Betty fidgets uncomfortably. "I guess I'll let you on but you really need to keep your ID with you...you're an adult." Despite the embarrassment and later teasing, I survived and we got home as planned, and now I can turn my lack of planning into an accomplishment, making a whole trip without any ID.
For those that don't know me that well, we really had no plans to bar or club hop, and the last thing I would wear would be strapless or halter...if you see my body in person you'll understand, in fact pictures probably explain it well enough.

5 comments:

Pattie said...

Your blog is so cute.you guys are so craZY and it looks like you had a great time with out all the bar hopping..

rebecca said...

Oh, my gosh!!! That first quote by Jack Handy took me back to good old SNL days. That was my favorite quote. My sister and I always used to look at each other and say that one! You crack my up!! Your blogs are always so fun to read! So glad you had a good time in Chicago!

melody said...

Ha! What an accomplishment indeed. I love reading your writing because I can just picture your funny self telling this story.

I am so glad you commented on my blog! Now we are connected after so many years of, well, not being connected. Can't wait to read more about your adventures abroad!

Sarah said...

Jessica! How are you?!? I am so excited to see you are doing well. And... that pizza looks yummy.

Shuldberg said...

Hey, we saw Sue when she was in Idaho on display! Your blog is so fun! I enjoy reading about your fun crazy life. :)