Sunday, August 19, 2007

Is it Ethical to Use Pets as Decor?


As mentioned in a previous post, I landed on getting this baker's rack from a friend while Rhett was gone. As I was figuring what to put on it, an idea I've had for a while became the spotlight of the project. For some time I thought it would be cool to decorate with fish. Mainly beta fish because they are bright and can only live solitary lives. Another benefit of beta fish is they can live in stagnant water and don't require an oxygenated tank. The only pets I've ever had have been Rhett's beta fish. The first I gave him for his 25 birthday and it survived the longest, then came the crazy fish who committed suicide, and the most recent fried in our car on our drive home this summer, we forgot he was in the cup holder. So our pet owner history isn't a shining record, but we came home and Rhett needed a pet, so I bought 3 red fish to cooridinate with the rest of the items. I love it. Anyway, when Rhett came home from being gone all week from the preceptorship earlier this month, he came in and saw the new baker's rack and said "Oh. We got a new fish!" He took a second to view the whole scene and turned and without emotion stated. "You've made the fish decor." I started laughing and admitted that to me they were merely decor that I feed each morning. Silently objecting to my plan for our pets, all he said was "You better at least give them names." Later when one died, he threw it out for me and we now laugh about it...but Wal-mart hasn't had a red beta fish for some weeks now so we have a bowl uninhabited.
So I still don't know if it is unethical to have my pets main use as decor. I would like to think it doesn't make a difference whether they sit on a table or a shelf. Also, our fish have the luxury of having a different bowl every couple of weeks. I do at least pay attention to rotate the fish so they all get a turn at living in the penthouse vase. What more could they want? If I were one of our pets I would be content and probably grateful I was red, enabling me to enjoy the cush life of being decor on a baker's rack. After all, atleast they are living decor unlike those hunters that just stuff the heads to go on their walls. My methods are very humane I think.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Jessica, you crack me up. I love blogs that make me laugh out loud--you, my friend, have one of those blogs.

The Gowdy Family said...

You might be interested to know that Walmart's amazing return policy includes fish--you can actually return them if they die! I don't know how long they'll allow that for, but you may want to check into that for your future decorating needs.

Unknown said...

You know what's great? When I read your blog I can hear your sweet melodic voice telling it to me. You have one of the prettiest voices I've ever heard.

Laura said...

This is TOO funny because I ALSO used a red beta as decor! What is it with you and expressing my thoughts perfectly? First the AeroCare, now the beta, what next? =)

BTW, I used my beta in the bathroom to "compliment" a red dress picture and a French cat picture with red undertones.

The Wilkins' said...

That is great!

TerriLyn said...

If I were a red beta fish I would totally be happy to live in the penthouse bowl for 1/3 of my life. You are the bomb, Jess. Very entertaining. Thank you.