Saturday, September 18, 2010

Parker's Drive In

If you grew up in Northern Utah County, you probably already know, and hopefully agree with everything this post has to offer.
I'm talking about American Fork's greasy spoon,
Lee Parker's Drive In

It's a historical part of AF. Last summer there was talk they were closing, and it seemed like a little panic whenever I would talk to anyone about it.  Luckily, Lee's daughter is keeping things going.
This little restaurant was huge in my childhood.  Any time cousins would visit my grandma from out of town, we'd always have to get Parker's.  As a kid, it  seemed like special occasions needed Parkers.

Another reason this dive seemed personally important, was the fact my mom and her two older sisters all worked there through high school.
But back in the late 70s they'd call it "the pit" back when it was an Arctic Circle.
We heard lots of stories from my mom working at Parker's, like one time she was leaving and had 2 melted, nasty, frothed milk shakes leftover and was holding them standing out the sun roof of her friends car, looking for someone in town to throw them on.
Two unsuspecting cowboys (most likely from Lehi) were on the curb and just got drenched--a high speed car chase ensued through the back streets of AF.  As a kid my mom seemed like such a rebel.
Anyway, there's a lot of nostalgia associated with this place.  A lot from my own life, and a lot hearing about it from my mom and aunts.  I remember one time I was in there to pick up the food with my mom and I actually saw old man Lee Parker myself... in real life.

I think the menu is as old as I am, they just increase the prices over the years.
NOTE: The two older ladies in the back worked with my mom.  My mom would always brag that she advanced to go behind the counter and worked the grill, where beginners just cashier and make drinks.

So here's the food.
I made this whole post to enlighten people about the difference between hamburger sauce and fry sauce.
You have to ask for hamburger sauce, (I think it's $.50 or something) but it's a lot better than fry sauce.  My mom knows the recipe, so she always makes hamburger sauce when we make burgers at home, and so I forget how much better it is than your usual fry sauce.
Fry sauce = equal parts mayo and ketchup, and some places put pickle juice or relish in it...sick!
Hamburger sauce: mayo, ketchup, and a little buttermilk.

Anyway, if you are ever driving through Utah County on I-15, get off at the American Fork 500 E exit and drive north to state street and try the hamburger sauce with your fries.

Hopefully people like it as much as I do.  Rhett says it's just OK, so maybe you have to grow up with the greasy magic of Parker's to really appreciate it.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Just looking at the post..... made me want Parker's SO BAD!! I didn't know there was a difference between the sauces... all these years and I didn't know! I'm going to need the exact recipes though....

Stephanie Kelly said...

hahah that’s so funny... When Stac was in town, we drove by it like a million times and I mentioned that Eric has lived here his whole life and has never taken me there, nor have I ever decided to take myself there... and I tell myself that I need to try that place every time I drive by it. Well, you made it official... I WILL go this week :)

Sheila said...

Tues. are 2 cheesburger deal day, Tolands. Try it then.
The hamburger sauce is way better, so be sure to ask for it with your fries or onion rings. They have real ice cream too. Not the soy imitation crap that all the big chains do. The Purple Turtle in PG is pretty good, but they use miricle whip in there sauce and pickle juice. No good.

SP said...

I love that place. Isn't there a story about Scott riding through there on motorcycle or something? I could be totally making that up.

LivingLush said...

And you still haven’t posted the recipient for Ham sauce :(