Saturday, September 4, 2010

Clothing 101

Right after I started the lack of fashion contest, I read these tips from from: The Lucky Shopping Manual.
-If you’re unsure about a big ticket item, put it on hold for 24 hours and think it over.
 I don't think I've ever considered a big ticket item of clothing.  Unless you consider big ticket a pair of jeans for less than $50.

-“Don’t buy anything that doesn’t flatter you or isn’t comfortable, no matter how of-the-moment it is.”
 I don't ever think about whether it's flattering, just if it's comfortable.

“If you have to talk yourself into a purchase in the dressing room, pass on it.”
 I rarely try anything on.

“If there’s nothing in your closet to wear with it, skip it.”
 Pretty much I only wear jeans and t-shirts, so I'm lost at coordinating "outfits"

“Never purchase something just because it looks good on someone else.”
 duh.

“Don’t save a pair of jeans for that anticipated five-pound weight loss. Owning them is bad for your psyche. If the time comes when you drop a size, chances are you won’t hesitate to run out and buy a new pair”
 I'm pretty sure I always buy pants way too big, and I have garbage bag butt in the back, so they're  comfortable but not at all the right way they should fit.  I was told having a really short torso, I should wear low rise jeans.  But I hate crackage with my bubble butt so no way!  I loathe low rise jeans.  They were made for girls with no bum I think.

“If a stain didn’t come out at the cleaners or when you toiled over it in the sink it’s permanent. Time to let it go.”
“If we kept every item of clothing with a memory attached , we’d be buried in clothes.”
 I have a big problem with this one...thus the contest

“Ask yourself if each item of clothing in your closet:
1) flatters your shape,
2) fits perfectly or is fixable,
 3) is the right color for you,
4) has been worn in the last two years
– only things that get four yesses should stay.”
I don't think I have one thing that gets 4 yesses!!

These tips were kind of depressing to realize how little I know, and even less that I actually implement.  But they seem to make sense, I guess I just never think of it. 
Clothing to me is like shelter--just to cover my nakedness and protect me from the elements.
But I'd like to change.

No comments: