Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Razzleberry Ice Cream

My mom has a massive garden. The highlight of her garden is the raspberry patch (at least to me). In one corner she has blackberry bushes. This is the first season they've done really well. So we have a big bucket of plump, fresh blackberries to use and enjoy.

I also have a lot of whipping cream from the half gallon I bought at Costco for the 80s party ice cream. So tonight I made razzleberry ice cream. It was really good. I tried to make this picture large like Ashley taught me so you can see how good it might taste.

Anyway, I just threw stuff in and it turned out great...I love when that happens.

I also love this ice cream maker my mother-in-law gave us when we were down there last weekend. It's the Gelato Jr. and we LOVE this little guy. It makes about a quart of ice cream. So kind of a small amount, but perfect for a small family. Also, it is all electrical so NO ice/ salt, no frozen ice cream buckets in your freezer. Spontaneously blend ice cream ingredients and dump it in, turn it on and in 30 minutes you have great dessert! We've been making a new batch about every other day. Sunday it was fresh apricot sorbet.

Anyway, here it is.
Photobucket

RAZZLEBERRY HOMEMADE ICE CREAM

4 - 6 strawberries, hulled
1/2 c. simple syrup**
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 c. fresh blackberries
1/4 c. raspberries
1/2 c. - 2/3 c. sugar to taste
1 c. whipping cream
small hand full of blackberries crushed to add


In blender combine all ingredients except crushed berries. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Add crushed berries during last 10-15 minutes or so.
Simple Syrup: Bring equal parts water and sugar to boil to dissolve sugar. Cool. Store in air-tight container in refrigerator.
**This is for a one quart ice cream maker, multiply as needed for larger ice cream makers.

2 comments:

Staci said...

MANNNN are you trying to kill me or make me extremely jealous. My mouth is watering and that is so not fair! If I had unlimited access to berries I would of eatten those whole bushes!

Mr. Dean R. Kelly said...

I was one of the lucky ones to be present and available to taste this divine creation. It was divine.