Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Higland Blast: Seven Peaks

Every summer since we've been married, Rhett and I have taken all our nieces and nephews on his side of the family for a couple nights to St. George. This was the first summer out of the last half decade, we couldn't go to St. George. Due to Rhett's schedule we only had one week to have our trip with the kids. So this year, we had to substitute St. George for something I called "Highland Blast". It was only 2 nights, and only about half of the kids could make it. Kind of a bummer, but we still had fun. Day 1: Seven Peaks. Day 2: Camping. And we definitely had a blast.

Seven Peaks
largest water park in Utah

I always had such great memories at Seven Peaks as a kid. So I thought they'd all love it. It was kind of funny. For example, I tole them we have to get our tubes and go clear to the deep end of the wave pool because it is so fun and the waves take you so high. We were waving it up for a while and they said: "Were the waves higher when you were a kid?" I was thinking the same thing. It was lame. I guess as a little girl they were much larger than as an adult.
But some things were the same thrill. Like all the tall rides. The Free Fall was just as scary to me, the wedgie just as huge. Cole (14) was the only one that would ride the tall rides with me. We sent Rhett off with all the other kids to the lilly pads or something and would sprint up to go again while the lines were still short. At one point as I was sprinting up the tower, I thought how ridiculous I must look. Once I got there, my silliness was reaffirmed as I waited with the rest of the teenage boys to ride. All the sudden I became aware of my varicose vein down the back of my leg from my pregnancy with RJ. All at once I realized I'M NOT A KID and this may look silly. I'm an old woman--a mom!. Gross! But I didn't care and continued to scrape the crap out of my back riding the "Sky Breaker".
My favorite was going on Tube Run because it is a tube half-pipe and it is easy to flip your tube over, dumping you and your friend out. The rest of the ride you spend scrambling back into the tube before you get to the bottom so the lifeguard won't know what you've been doing. I did this all the time growing up and it was always my favorite thing to do at Seven Peaks. I have to admit: the 16-year-old scrawny lifeguards at the bottom seem a lot less threatening as an adult. And Rhett started yelling at me when I almost got us BOTH flipped out despite him resisting the fun. I think I remember him yelling: "Jess! How old are you???" I never did have enough leverage or strength to dump Rhett out so he could experience the full Seven Peaks experience.
We were there, literally running from one ride to the next--all day. Open to close. 11am to 8pm. That night after we ate pizza and were all showered, the kids suggested going out to play night games. As lame and old as I didn't want to be, I told them "I am too tired."
Dippin Dots, a Seven Peaks must

1 comment:

Shari and Trent said...

I remember those 7 Peak days as a kid! Don't worry Jess, if I wasn't pregnant I would probalby be looking as ridiculous as you going on all the slides!