Sunday, July 5, 2009

5 Year Anniversary Trip

National Park Extravaganza
combining Rhett's two dream jobs:
Forest Park Ranger & Truck Driver
-----
For our 5 year wedding anniversary, Rhett planned a trip for 4 days, 3 nights. It was a secret and I didn't know what we were doing, but I knew he was excited about it. He even made me stay blindfolded for the entire 3 hour drive to our destination.
He led me out of the car as I tripped and stumbled my way into where we were staying. He let me open my eyes and I looked out the window and I had no idea where we were, it was in the mountains and in the distance I could see a forest fire. We were south of Moab, UT. Rhett explained our trip was what he called the Utah "National Park Extravaganza". We were going to see the majority of the national parks and monuments in the eastern lower half of Utah. I was excited, I knew Rhett would love this.
He mentions quite often how he would love to be a forest park ranger and work in the outdoors. He also loves road trips and driving. He was excited he'd get to drive from Utah to Missouri three times in one summer, so he could drive and enjoy the scenery, I would puke at the thought of driving through Kansas or Nebraska more than once in a year. So truck driving would also be a dream job, and this trip was an embodiment of both dream occupations. I was interested and excited too when I found out what we were doing.
We stayed in a isolated cottage/ cabin in the mountains. It was cute and cozy.



Our first day we went into town--Moab and ate at Eddie McStiff's. I had the best fish & chips I've ever had in my life. Then the touring started. I've made links to all the places we saw if you have interest in seeing the beauties of Utah. I think most people that pass through drive on I-15 and think it is a really ugly state. But it has some awesome beauty...and yes, I-15 is pretty ugly.

National Park Extravaganza



Canyonlands National Park:
Island in the Sky








Arches National Park
delicate arch







Canyonlands National Park:
the Needles








Natural Bridges National Monument









Glen Canyon Recreational Area:
lake powell








Goblin Valley









Capitol Reef National Park









Dixie National Forest:

Boulder Mountain






Bryce Canyon National Park





We'd already seen Zions on an earlier trip.

5 comments:

Katherine said...

Wow, I'm so impressed with Rhett. What an amazing trip!! I am kicking myself for not heading south to see all the sites before we moved away from UTah. I have been to Bryce Canyon and I love it there. So beautiful!

Unknown said...

AWESOME! Crapo is the champ.

Staci said...

wow that is really cool. Rob would never think of doing anything fun like this for our 5 yr coming in Dec. Well I hope I'm wrong.

Sarah said...

What a trip! Hope you had fun! I can't belive you have been married 5 years.

Natalie said...

What an awesome trip!! I am so impressed that Rhett planned so much fun and that you kept the blindfold on.