Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Big Brother


I was really nervous at RJ's reaction to having a sibling in his life.
I assumed he'd feel dethroned and resent the baby.
But so far he has done so well.  He just loves Ellaria.
He is quite possessive of her, and every morning comes in and asks: "Where's my sister?"
The majority of the time he refers to her as "his sister" rather than "Baby Ellie", which is what we've always called her until she came. 
The night we brought her home from the hospital, we came in and RJ was just jumping up and down so excited and happy to have Baby Ellie home.
We were only home 15 minutes or so and they called Rhett to say he needed to go back with Ellaria because they forgot some things and didn't discharge her all the way.
What a pain.
So Rhett got her back in her car seat and was loading her in the car and RJ freaked out.  He just started sobbing yelling: "Don't take my sister!" Rhett explained they would be back, and went in the garage, and RJ was just breaking down crying: "my sister! My sister!"
So he got to go to the hospital and my mom went with to wait with him in the car so he'd feel OK about Rhett taking his sister.

Here he is giving Ellie all her gifts from Grandma, just piling them on her.

He went to run errands one day with my mom and ran in the house and over to Ellaria and said: "It's OK Ellie.  Don't be sad, RJ is home."  (She was totally asleep)

He loves to help fetch diapers, spit rags, or give her a binky.  He also loves to kiss her probably too much.

But there have been things that have been hard with RJ.  The whole early morning birth and crazy schedule messed up his sleep schedule, thus falling asleep at dinner. 

He's also regressed a little with potty training.  He hadn't had accidents for weeks, but has wet his pants a few times since she's been born, which I actually expected and I'm just glad he doesn't want to be a baby himself and go back to diapers or anything.

He's been loving having Grandma here to play with him and she's a lot funner than I am right now.  Also having his dad around has been fun for him, here they are making "bugs for fishing" = tying flies.
He's excited to go fishing, but I told him he can't fish with his dad until the trees grow leaves.  So every once in a while he'll look out the window and tell me the trees are still "nakie" = naked. 

So things are going well here at our house adjusting to the new baby and getting used to our little family of four.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE RJ laughing with her.He is so cute.

melody said...

Oh that first picture is darling. It is so sweet to see the older sibling adoring the younger one.