Sunday, November 15, 2009

Plane Movie

On the airplane to Hawaii they showed the movie: Juliie & Julia, about a blogger who cooked all the recipes from Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child. The movie parallels the life of Julia Child and the, in my opinion, kind of lame blogger. But I don't want to give you a movie review, the thing that stuck out to me the most was how they portrays Julia Child's size. According to Wikipedia, which we all know is the absolute fact, Julia Child was 6' 2".

Michael Scott: Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write
anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best
possible information.

I'm only 5' 10", so Julia Child wase more like the size of a couple of my cousins, but this is what I identified with so much...and her insatiable love to eat of course. One scene she was chopping a mountain of onions, and the table seemed practically at her knees. THAT'S HOW I FEEL ALL THE TIME! Especially folding tables or pic-nic tables. The worst is at my in-laws. We all get together for some quality family time in the shop to bag rocks into kits for their business, and the tables are normal, but my back is always killing by the end, they are so low when you are bending over for a long time.
Anway, the biggest thing was the emphasis they gave to Julia Child and her husband's height difference. He was shorter than her. They also portrayed him a lot smaller too. I wondered if this bothered people as they watched the movie. It shows the Child's marriage as a happy one and that they are totally in love, which I think most people enjoy, but I wondered if people were just irritated and uncomfortable with it.
But I really liked it. Obviously because I'm taller than my husband. It's surprising how many people gawk or have asked how we could get over it enough to actually get married. A lot of people said they would NEVER marry a man shorter/ woman taller. Obviously I think that is stupid to base your potential compatibility with the length of your long bones, but whatever. When I was engaged a certain person was trying to talk me out of marrying Rhett, because our height difference, and I remember explaining, when you find someone who is perfect for you, the length of a femur is the last thing you're worried about. And it has been a non-issue with us. People ask me a ton if Rhett will let me where heels. It always makes me laugh, thinking of Rhett inspecting my shoes, and analyzing the soles: "Nope this heel exceeds the sole thickness, out with it!" Like he cares or even knows which shoes I'm wearing.
I wear heels.
We don't care.

Because something I don't even think about, can sometimes make us feel like a freak show, I really get excited when I see other couples where the chick is taller than the guy. So I liked this aspect of the movie, but I wondered if it bothered other people, as I'm sure Rhett and I bother other people because we are different than societal height expectations.


And usually height-opposite relationships are usually used in TV and movies as comical pairs. For example, did George Castanza ever date a woman shorter than himself?


But there are some celebritites that are actually married, although I don't know if anyone is shorter than Danny Devito,

And there are definitely couples that I wouldn't want to be put in any category with...

like Flav A Flav & Brigette

For us, the height difference is insignifigant, and it was refreshing to see another couple in a movie, and in real life that were in love too.
So sorry to those who know us and are always bothered at our decision to marry each other, and are still trying to figure out how a marriage can work with a 2 inch difference in height!!!

6 comments:

Natalie said...

Do people really say that to you guys? I always thought it was a non-issue, but I didn't realize it was an issue for other people. FUNNY!

Journey to Mia Lynn: said...

Right there with you on this sister! On a good day I am 6'1 & the hubs....well, he is not! & like you, we don't care. But, you are right, it often seems that others do. Strange, huh?

Ryan + Jess said...

It didn't bug me about the movie. It actually made me love them as a couple more!

My neighbor growing up was over 6 feet and married a man who was maybe 5'6. And she carried him at their wedding. I remember a lot of people being uncomfortable with it, but I thought it was so amazing and great. So many people wouldn't be able to overlook that and are so caught up in the physical. So I applaud you :)

The Posse said...

Seriously, I think about this all the time. Sometimes I even lie awake at night just wondering how a marriage could last between a woman who's two inches taller than her husband (really, though, mostly just yours). And then I console myself that she must have married him for his money.

Nate and Heidi said...

It's funny what hang people up. You forgot Tom Cruise. He always dates people taller than him... P.S. this is Heidi - Holly (from x-ray) sister.

Elsie said...

Yeah for tall women! I love this post!