Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Hawaii Highlights

We'd always planned to go on a trip when Rhett graduated Medical School. I think we were leaning toward a cruise these 3 1/2 years. But a family member couldn't use their time share in Kauai in November so we took our graduation trip 6 months early. It was so great. Rhett's sister, Amber and her husband Van went with us and we had a great week.
Stuff we did on Kauai for you when you go:
-beach: we stayed on Poipu beach on the south shore and it was so great!

-boogie boarding: I LOVED IT! For the wannabe surfer that has no talent. It was so great. I just swim out there and watch the local Hawaiian kid and when he started kicking, I would copy him. The thrill I had boogie boarding, I can't imagine how much I'd love actually surfing, oh if I had skills to do that. Right by Poipu was Brenneke Beach, which was really great because real surfers aren't allowed, leaving all the room for the spongers.
-Napali coast Hike: There is a hike on the north shore for 12 miles, but we just went the first leg, 1 mile in, 1 mile out. It was really cool to hike along the mountains, with the cliffs into the ocean below. Most of the trail was on gnarled roots.
-Lava Pools: on the north shore you can park and hike 1/2 a mile to Secret Beach, which is nice and secluded. Then you just hike along the shoreline to these lava pools you can swim in. The waves were crashing down and we didn't feel it was safe to swim...correction. Rhett wanted to, but I told him not to.
-Kayak/ Hike/ Waterfall: tour guided up the river filmed in Indiana Jones, hike through the jungle to the waterfall.
-Helicoptor Tour: this was awesome. Pricey, but worth the view. We were able to fly in the Grand Canyon of the Pacific, and whirl around in the wettest spot on earth on top of this mountain where it is solid green, with waterfalls rolling on all sides, and misty at the top.

Food wise, we pretty much ate from the condo, loving the fact Kauai has a Costco! $10 large pizza ya!

Restroom for obese women in Lihue airport...not really, the green had just peeled back, making it look like a fat woman rather than the normal triangle dress.














2 comments:

The Wilkins' said...

Awesome! Looks amazing! So glad you go to go. I'd like to celebrate 6 months early :)

PS I feel so bad. I totally thought of you and your birthday, but didn't do anything about it!

Happy Birthday! You look gorgeous!

Ryan + Jess said...

Wow. It looks incredible! I'm so glad you guys got to go. What a huge accomplishment!

And happy birthday, by the way. I love your birthday dress. So beautiful.