Monday, July 7, 2008

When You Pack...You Find Some Forgotten Gems

Here are a few things I was excited about when they popped up this week as we packed to move home...


<----This cassette tape. We realized we don't own a tape player anymore, so I had to go listen to it in the car. Classic.

This video was for auditory purposes only--for those wishing to hear the rap. I tried to make it somewhat visually entertaining but it is quite lame. So consider yourself warned.
Did I forget to mention one side of the tape is the rap and the other side is instrumental (but does include the chorus background singers) so you can perform the rap yourself?

I went through all the photos we own and organized them. It was funny going through all of Rhett's photos, some of which I'd never seen. I was impressed with this one. He is only a sophomore (Rhett is muscles in red).

I was packing up and organizing all the baby/ nursery stuff and found this little dress. Last Spring I made dress for myself, and out of the scraps made this baby dress. Obviously I can't use it any time soon because we had a boy, but I tried it on R.J. to see how it fit, or if it fit at all because I just hacked it out without a pattern. To me, he looks like a boy in a dress, but maybe that is because I see him every day and to anyone else he could be a little baby girl. Rhett told me if there's any gender confusion in his future I'll be solely to blame.

.

Also, I should have taken a picture (before I packed it away) of my 7th grade Home Ec project. We made wind socks or I don't know what they're called really. A tube of fabric with strips hanging off the bottom. In 7th grade my best friends were Lindsay W. and Marianne K. we called ourselves the "Rebels" to aggravate Miss Morrow, a red head teacher that taught this weird required class that was about self esteem or something?? If anyone the went to Mt. Ridge Jr. High remembers the name of that class remind me. But for sewing, we further wanted to aggravate our teacher--Mrs. Jensen. To do this, for our wind socks we chose the ugliest combination we could. Our strips were black, forest green, and lime green. I have this vivid memory of "Miss Jen" rolling her eyes back and her bouffant shaking in disgust as we laid out our strips to sew. I think she made a comment about "awful color selection" and our demands she provide brown in the future. Why didn't I take the picture of that thing??? Maybe I'll stumble across it when we unpack next week.

Jr. High update: TLC was the home ec course, each term was a different area. The class Miss Morrow taught was Quest...thank you Jessica and Marianne for informing us all. Lynette and I always quote "Miss Jen" on using the "factory fold" when cutting out fabric. I wonder if she's still teaching...

Now back to packing...

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that dress...sometimes my mom and i dress jack up in girls clothes just becuase we think he would make a beautiful girl! And I remember that class with miss morrow but the name escapes me. Post it when you find out because it is totally going to bother me now.

John, Jess, Ellie, Cade, Eden & Scarlett said...

Isn't it TLC? I have no idea what it stands for though. We had cooking, sewing (or were they combined) 'self-esteem' with Miss Morrow, and some engineering part where we build bridges (or am I thinking about something totally different)? That was funny to read about--I haven't thought about Miss Morrow or Mrs. Jensen for a long time!

Marianne said...

it was QUEST!!!!!!! MISS MORROW!!!!!!! oh the only reason i ever let her enter my mind is when i'm trying to remember how to spell "tomorrow". and then i had to go ahead and take dance from the woman. interpretive dance to boot. you have a cute boy/girl:)

Rebecca S said...

ok, i just saw your profile says that you are currently back home in the west - have you really left alread? I know it's going to happen, but I'm just not ready :\

MissMolly said...

Would you hurry and move out here already! I can't wait to hold that baby. :) He seriously is so cute and has the most adorable smile.

Nate and Heidi said...

You are so funny! RJ still looks like a boy in that dress. I do remember you- you are the tall skinny girl who makes her own scrubs. I love your blog!

jayne said...

After seeing RJ in a dress, it's a good thing he's a boy. He'd have quite the complex being built like he is and trying to pull off "feminine". You haven't left yet---so why are you pretending you are in the west! Just don't go...

Lindsey Bench said...

Miss Jen!! Ha, Ha. I totally remember that and our wonderfully atrocious wind socks and miss jen kindly suggesting other color schemes when she saw what we were up to. I miss my "rebels" days.

Katherine said...

Mormon RAP!!! Oh my gosh. I was just asking Bobby if he remembered Mormon rap and he looked at me like I was crazy. I can't wait to show him this. I remember my cousins did a lip sync to this at a family Christmas party. Ha ha!

That's such a cute baby dress you made! You are amazing!

The Wilkins' said...

You crack me up Jess! I love RJ's dress- he is definitely all boy! Cute dress, though! Good luck packing!

MissMolly said...

Loved Mormon Rap, it was my first encounter with the song. I thought that the video antics added very much to the presentation of the song. Fabulous, simply fab.

Kassie said...

That dress is adorable...I love that you pack 7th grade projects around the country. AND, I can't even comment on the hilariousness of the Mormon Rap cassette.

melody said...

Ha! First of all, the Mormon Tap is a big part of my childhood, sadly. I sang along through the whole video! Also, I love the windsock story. Mine is probably lost and gone forever, but I would have kept it for sure if it had such an awesome story behind it like yours.

Also, ha! about the dress on your chubby cutie. Classic post. So glad I dropped by.