Monday, February 25, 2008

Painting for the Baby

I finished a painting I've been working on for the baby's room. I'm not an artist, so it was quite a big project for me to take on. As a kid I loved the book, My Father's Dragon. My Mom has an original publication from 1948 and it was one of my favorites. I really liked the story, but even more the illustrations and I remember tracing the warthog quite a few times as a kid, thus the warthog's prominent spot in the scene. :) I guess we're kind of having a jungle/safari theme for the baby room and so I got excited about painting all the characters from one of my favorite books.
I painted the animals based on the illustrations. It's 16"x20" and was a cheap canvas I found at Wal-Mart. I used acrylic paint. I was actually surprised with the turn out, I'd ask Rhett for critique and he could tell what each animal was supposed to be, so I considered my first canvas attempt a success.
Also I'd recommend the book, but maybe it's one of those things that is amazing as a kid and in reality quite lame...but I'll always love it.

8 comments:

The Wilkins' said...

Jessica I am SO impressed! I didn't know you could paint THAT well! Awesome!

Nelson Family said...

holy crap!! who are you? Well all I have to say is that it is AMAZING. Good job

Sarah said...

Well, now you may call yourself an artist. Good job! Want to do one for me when we are expecting? :)

Marianne said...

that does look great! I was sad to read about herschel- didn't your older brother James have something like that? One of my brothers suffers from a learning disability and always hid it really well- we jut thought he was kinda lazy in school. Finaly one of his teachers suggested maybe he get tested for dyslexia... after some accommodations he finally started doing well in the 9th grade. So... yeah. The family that didn't know their brother couldn't read!

TerriLyn said...

I saw this painting when I came by last week and I was going to ask you about it because I thought it was really cool. I thought it was probably for the baby's room. I Love it. Awesome job!

Pattie said...

Wow the painting looks great..

Natalie said...

As always: you are amazing!

melody said...

Jessica - I love the painting. That is something that will be passed down for generations in your family! I adore that simple story myself. I read it for the first time a few years ago and loved it as a child would. Great theme for the baby's room. Congrats, by the way!! Can't wait to read about your upcoming little friend.