Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Honey Lime Enchiladas and Spanish Rice

I haven't posted many recipes lately, the beginning of the summer I was in a cooking funk, but the last couple weeks I've liked cooking again, and making new recipes.
This first recipe I've made in the past, and it was OK.  I originally got it from the sister's cafe blog..

But here's the changes I made.

Honey Lime Pork Enchiladas
This picture looks like bonch.  I probably should have waited to put the sour cream and guacamole on.  It tasted good, much better than this looks.
Marinade:
1/3 c. honey
1/4 c. lime juice (I just used the concentrate from the juice section)
1 heaping T. chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp beef bullion
1/2 c. hot water (to dissolve honey)
Stir all of this in your 4 qt crock pot.  Add 1 1/2 lb pork roast. (I actually used pork tenderloin and it worked too)
Cook on low all day, at least 4-5 hours.

Other Ingredients:
marinated meat from above
2 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 to 1/2 c. green onions
tortillas

2 (10 oz) cans green enchilada sauce
whipping cream 1/2 c. to 1 c.

Assemble Enchiladas:
Spray a 9x13 and 9x9 (I froze the 9x9 for another day)
Spread enchilada sauce on bottom of pans
Fill tortillas with a little hand full of the mixed cheeses, green onions, and meat.  Roll up and fill pans.
Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce on top of the rolled tortillas.
Sprinkle cheese all over.
Drizzle cream on top of the cheese.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Spanish/ Mexican Rice
from high school friend Megan Wadsworth Mecham
she brought this to a high school girls choice dance--dinner was a potluck fiesta at my house and I remembered how much I liked her rice (lots of flavor) and found her on facebook a while ago to snag the recipe

1 c. raw rice
1/4 c. green pepper, diced small
1/2 to 1 med. onion, diced small
Saute in a little butter in nonstick skillet until browned.
Add:
2 tsp parsley
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp. tumeric
1 c. water
1 can diced tomatoes

Bring to a boil, Simmer 25 minutes. I sprinkle a little cheese on to melt into it when it's ready.
**I also didn't have tumeric and just left it out

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I actually think it looks yum! Sounds delicious.

melody said...

Oh, that does look delicious. I have a slightly different recipe for honey lime enchiladas but this one sounds much more moist. I think I will upgrade. And thanks for sharing Megan's rice recipe. Maybe now I will upgrade from Spanish Rice-a-Roni while I am at it!

Sheila said...

Looks good. Love the idea of pouring the cream over the top. That would make it nice and moist without having a bunch of spicy sauce.

Megan and Taj said...

How exciting.. I have been "featured" on a blog!! I am glad that you enjoyed it so much! Seriously.. those enchiladas look delicious!!!!