Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I lost my wedding ring

My palm shows how I need to LOTION!


Last weekend we went to visit family in Delta. Rhett was between rotations and didn't feel obligated to study or anything so we had a full Saturday with a 70 degree forecast. Rhett's Dad owns a trilobite quarry in the west desert of Utah, and Rhett's brother Shayne operates a business on the quarry so visitors can come and dig all day and take home their fossils. It is called U-Dig Fossils (if you have time & interest to check out the website you'll find a gem photo of Rhett at age 10 cracking some shale and sporting the ever popular 90's bowl-cut hair style).



Anyway, having been in the fam over 5 years, it was shocking I'd never dug my own trilobite. So we thought Saturday we'd take the kid and drive to the quarry to crack some rocks all day.


I actually enjoyed cracking up rocks. They are shale and really soft and crumble in your hands some of the time. It was quite relaxing to hammer rocks and bust them up, occasionally finding fossils to give to the father in law too. RJ got to help drive the backhoe.



We were moving all our stuff when I ruined my day and everyone else in the family when I looked down and noticed my hand missing the only piece of jewelry I ever wear. My wedding ring!! Rhett was holding RJ and I squatted in shock with my left hand out, fingers spread whispering: "Oh no!" "Oh NO!!!" After rising from my panic squat I frantically stumbled down the hills like a rat with rabies searching areas I'd previously been digging. I was in a big pit and looked around and realized--my wedding ring is gone! It was more impossible than finding a needle in a haystack. I stood there staring at the ground and almost started to cry, but sense kicked in and I realized crying won't do any good so I continued running all around the quarry instead.



I finally gave up my 3 minute search and told Rhett that we could get a sterling silver little band when we get back. Rhett coolly said: "Well Jess, at least you can comfort yourself with the fact your ring is among the trilobites." I did laugh--better than crying I guess. "I only lasted 5 years before I lost my ring," I lamented as I grabbed our stuff and Rhett went to look around, basically walking around calmly through my tracks. I told Rhett's brother Shayne about how stupid I was and reacting like an adult, Shayne told us to go back to Delta and get his metal detector.



So Rhett dropped us off and drove the hour back to the quarry to comb the desert for my ring. He was gone all day and called at 8 pm. All my nieces kept telling me to pray that they find my ring and that's all it would take but I told them it was already gone in my head. Rhett drove up and I ran out and he got down on one knee and gave me my ring and asked me to be more careful with it in the future. I was relieved and grateful for prayers and metal detectors.

And to reward you for reading this far into our pretty uneventful lives, below I have sacrificed my dignity by sharing a REALLY close photo of my nasty face so you can enjoy my baby's sad eye being pulled off his face by my cheek. Poor bubba. ( the reward is supposed to be a laugh...or maybe just a chuckle...ok a smile...or a complete waste of reading the whole thing and an ending that's even worse)


9 comments:

melody said...

Wow! I can't believe he found it! What a relief. Don't feel too bad about losing it, though. Jonny lost his (for good) within our first year of marriage. And he's still wearing a sterling silver stand-in from the mall!

Me (Nancy) said...

Yea! You found it! That's pretty impressive. I had a hard time finding trilobites, much less a wedding ring!

Natalie said...

I AM SO HAPPY YOU FOUND IT! And, for the record, I don't think you have to act like an adult in times of crisis that involve losing diamonds......

Elsie said...

That's a great story! I love it! It has such a good ending - I was reading along and reading along thinking that it was going to end sad with you both leaving with no ring....but NO, Rhett found it! Which if I may quote The Office here, was very "classy" of him, don't you think?
Also, on a side note thanks for the encouragement the other day - it made me smile and I just want you to know that I think you are great :-)

m said...

I have never gone through such a large spectrum of emotions while reading this post. The title made me sick to my stomach, the description of a rat with rabies made me chuckle, the fact that you didn't cry made me jealous because I would have been crying my eyes out, and then I was laughing out loud when I saw the bottom picture of RJ!

The Posse said...

You seriously crack me up. I love reading your posts. Anyway, glad to hear you found it. I've lost both my engagement and my wedding bands-- engagement was on the beach in the first FOUR MONTHS of marriage (although in my defense it was Derek's flipping the sand out of my shorts that did it)-- FOUND. Wedding band-- pool side at our apartments in Kansas City-- REPLACED. You're not alone, my friend.

Rebecca S said...

You are so funny - tell Rhett I think he's a hero!

Amber said...

I haven't heard this story! Glad you found it!

TerriLyn said...

Yes I definitly got a laugh out of that treat of a picture there at the end. Little RJ is such a cutie and I love that picture of you two. I'm sooo Rhett found you ring, and how romantic of him to propose to you again! Sweet story. You're so funny. I really love reading your blog!I thought he Badawnkadawnk video was hillarious! $300 shipping...what a rip off!