Monday, January 26, 2009

Skipper Lee

This past week, my parents, Lynette, RJ and I drove to Denver for my Grandpa's funeral. After the funeral we drove around my dad's old neighborhood. We came to a park and my dad pointed out their neighborhood pool and told us that was where he punched out Skipper Lee.

Lynette started laughing and I asked for a refresher on that story. Here is the best I can remember it in my dad's words:





"I was about 15 years old and I gave Jimmy Burl a dime and told him to go to the pool and get me a green snow-cone. [How old was Jimmy?] Jimmy was 7 or 8 and he did what I told him. So 15 minutes later, Jimmy comes back and he's crying and NO SNOW-CONE! I asked him where the snow-cone was and he told me some kid stole it from him. So I told him to come with me and we went back to the pool.

We got there and I told Jimmy to find me the kid that ate my snow-cone...and it was Skipper Lee. So we went over to Skipper with green juice on his lips and I said: "Hey! Do you remember this kid?"

He said: "Uurrrrrhhh....."

I said: "Why did you eat my snow-cone?"

He said: "I didn't know it was yours."

Scott: "Well you owe me a green snow-cone!"

Skipper: "Urrhhhh, I don't have any money."

That's when I decked him in the face. [How old was Skipper?] My same age, 15. [Did anyone try to break up the fight?] We were outside the pool at the counter and it wasn't a fight, it was a beating. I sure got my 10 cents out of that loser, but what made me really mad was that was my last dime and I really wanted a green snow-cone."

It was really exciting for me to see Jimmy at the funeral. Here he is with my dad, I should have asked him if he remembered the green snow-cone ordeal. My dad did tell me Jimmy was the toughest 8-year-old he's seen, but he couldn't take on a punk 7 years older than him, so Scott had to go get his snow-cone revenge.

love you Dad!

3 comments:

jayne said...

Jess, I miss you and your stories! They are always hilarious! I'm so glad you blog so I can get some kind of laughter around here....

Kassie said...

Ha/ha! I really think that is what is de-progression in this world: Sometime 'Skipper's need to be taught a lesson with a good old fashion whoopin. Period.
I'm sorry to hear about you grandpa, Jess.
That is a really great picture of your dad and his buddy.

Stephanie Kelly said...

this is great!!! I can listen to the Kelly's Kids storiess alll day long!!