Saturday, January 24, 2009

In Memory of...

James Elwood Kelly

1922 - 2009

My grandfather passed away this past week at 86 and he meant a lot to me. He was:


a Marine during WWII,


a hard worker,



a son,

a brother,


a husband,

a father,

a grandfather,

a great-grandfather,



and the best man I've ever known.



1 Corinthians 13: 4-5 "Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up; doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never faileth."


If I were to sum up my grandfather, I would replace "charity" with his name.


He was my best example of what it means to be Christ-like. I named my son after him, and only hope Rhett James (RJ) can live up to his name and honor the man who first made it great. Grandpa lived a good life and as much as I will miss him, I feel peace.


Not much of a tribute, but he's been consuming the majority of my thoughts these last two weeks.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

That was a fantastic tribute Jess. Rhett bares a proud name; I know he will honor it. Love you tons!

Stephanie Kelly said...

This is so wonderful jess!

rebecca said...

I think that was an amazing tribute to your grandpa! Just the pictures brought tears to my eyes. I'm sorry for your loss.

Journey to Mia Lynn: said...

A beautiful tribute that was indeed Jess! My sympathy's to you & yours~however, I know you haven't lost him as I know that you know right where he is! Blessings~Jen P.