Saturday, March 15, 2008

Sympathy for Obesity

Lately, I've been re-evaluating my opinion of grossly obese people.

This picture was taken last Sunday, I was 34 weeks along. I have a short torso, and it is obvious I'm carrying our son pretty high. My greatest discomfort with being pregnant at this stage is I'm so huge I CAN'T BREATHE. The positions where I can breathe comfortably are really limited, and I think: "This is how fat people feel and why they all sleep in recliners." Or I climb our single flight of stairs and end up breathing hard and consider: "Of course obese people can't exercise, you would suffocate jogging one lap."

So for all those Americans with BMI's sky high, I'll cut you some slack, because it's hard to have to live with limited respiration...but on the other hand, it seems miserable enough it would be motivation to put the doughnut down, or atleast only eat half.

10 comments:

Marianne said...

You don't look obese! You look great!

Kassie said...

Amen Sister! You ARE carrying that baby HIGH! It's almost over and then the real fun begins!

jayne said...

I have thought the same exact thing with each pregnancy. I think that is what motivates me to get on the treadmill soon after giving birth....the ability to tie my own shoes without grunting, climbing stairs with ease, and not having to make 3 point turns in bed just to roll to my other side.

Unknown said...

I completely agree with you there. You do look fabulous though...not too much longer until you can breathe again!

Holly said...

jessica- you look so cute pregnant!!!

Chrissy said...

You are beautiful!

rebecca said...

You really are one of those, "dang, she's such a cute pregnant ladies" kind of girl :) Good luck this next few weeks :)

Sara said...

Yay I found your blog!! Not in a creepy way, promise, I just found it through other people's blogs who I look at :). OK so my life changed really fast and I never got a chance to say bye to you and Natalie!! I was so bummed because I ran into her at Wal Mart and I was going to get together with you guys but... everything happened really fast! Anyway I had to comment because I think the exact same thing DAILY... holy cow except it's more like I will NEVER let myself become obese!!... I can barely breathe and I can't even get up from the couch without grunting sad! It must have been worse for us because we both are carrying sooo high.. my little man has dropped and i have had some relief so I hope that happens soon for you!! I can't wait to see what your little babe looks like :D

The Wilkins' said...

You look darling Jess! I'm soooo excited for you guys!

TerriLyn said...

This is the cutest pregnant picture I've ever seen. You look so good!