Friday, August 29, 2008

Update: session II

Some pictures of Delta. This first picture is RJ with Dallin, who just turned 16. He's the oldest nephew and adopted RJ as: "the little brother I never had". All the neices and nephews mauled RJ pretty much the entire time we were there, but for the most part he enjoyed the extra love...or just slept through it.

"THE RES"


If you go to Delta, sooner or later you will probably experience "The Res" officially known as Gunnison Bend Reservoir. We went to swim on the shore. When we mentioned going that day all the kids got excited about "the Res mud". All the occasions I've spent at the Res I never learned of the mud. If you swim out far enough and dive down, the mud is smooth, stinky, gray and to these kids--pretty awesome. I swam out and brought some back to the girls...squishing it in our hands led to wiping in on our arms which led to smearing it everywhere else. I continued participating in this sewer version of a day at the spa, by letting the sulfuric smelling mud dry, walking to the dock, finishing by all of us running and jumping off squealing in the air. I swam to the surface, trying to wipe the mud remnants off and I noticed two young bikini hotties on the beach watching us. Then I realized what that whole thing must have looked like to a bystander. I think at this point in my life I'm beyond embarrassment...it actually did me good to act like I was also 9 years old that day.


NIGHT GAMES
What is one of the joys of summer for a little kid living in a small, desert, isolated town? Play night games until 1 a.m. We went through many popsicles and received many mosquito bites, but it was fun. We were playing POISON, a game that basically combines basketball, P-I-G, and dodge ball. Usually when someone receives the maximum three "poisons" they are out of the game and mosey around waiting for everyone else to get out. This time we played Rhett instituted the "loser pool". When you lost, you had to sit in the dry swimming pool the rest of the game, so when it ended we didn't waste time running all through and around the house trying to find the rest of the kids that lost early on and got bored. Here we are, the first three losers in the loser pool...the good, the bad, and the ugly (last two titles are reversed in the picture)

1 comment:

jayne said...

I'm so glad you are back. I miss you and it's good to hear you are doing good. RJ is huge! Hold on tighter, he's only going to get bigger.