Monday, October 10, 2011

Boys In the Kitchen

 Rhett doesn't cook much.  Both our families growing up didn't depend on our dad's cooking (although my dad does make his own chocolate cake).  
But there are a few things Rhett makes that are really great.
Mainly fresh pasta.

He served his mission in Italy and loves pasta.  We have it a lot.  A few years ago my mom got him a pasta roller for Christmas.  We've been perfecting his methods for some time now.
Rhett has had an easier rotation this month and we've been loving having him around more.  He's only working 40 hours a week and it feels like he's on vacation.

So he and RJ made dinner tonight.
RJ was actually a really great help and is on his way to being the family's next pasta expert. 
Rhett really let him do a lot of the pasta making.  He cranked the handle for everything, and helped a lot preparing the sheets.  Rhett would help him obviously, but I was really impressed how much RJ did on his own.  Six months ago when he was helping with pasta it was kind of more work to have him involved, but tonight he was a good little sous chef to his dad.
Rhett is a really patient guy, which helps RJ as he's learning and all the repetition gave him time to get pretty good at doing a lot on his own.  I was surprised when RJ would load his dough himself and run it through.

To make fresh pasta, you first make the dough from eggs, flour, and a titch of olive oil.  In this batch Rhett added spinach which is why it's slightly green. 

Then you roll it into thin sheets.
You can see how excited RJ was when a sheet was all done. 




Then you add a cutting attachment to slice the sheets into fettuccine!

It was so fun as a family to watch the boys cook, and I have to say I enjoy having a night off from making dinner...especially when it tastes better than anything I ever make.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

RJ is so wonderful. Drew and I have arranged Halloween movies through netflix all month long for RJ boy.

MissMolly said...

So cute! You're photogrphay skills are awesome Jess, you have a way of capturing perfect candid moments. :) This is so adorable. I love RJ's expressions.

Leslie said...

Jessica!!!! How are you??!! RJ and Elle are so freaking cute! I have a question for you, my parents are headed down to ST. George tomorrow for the day and they wanted to see your parents. Could I get Sheila or Scotts numbers to pass along to them :) You can email it to me so their numbers aren't all over the world :) leslielynton@gmail.com
Miss and love you Jess!
Leslie