Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Remodel Chaos




This week we started remodeling our bathroom. Even though we are renting, we decided to replace the shower surround, but this has turned into reframing the exterior wall, installing a new window, installing a fan, replacing the floor. The landlord is paying for all the supplies and we thought this would be a perfect opportunity to learn how to tile and not have to pay for it, and if it isn't perfect, we don't own the house and anything looks better than what it is. So in the end we'll have 1 year with a better bathroom, tools to tile in the future, and an opportunity to learn how to do it.
This is Day 2 and Rhett has been working hard against the odds (unexpected rot, surprise framing from the 1930s and it will go on and on I'm sure). We pulled out the existing plastic shower surround and there was so much water damage and rot. Some boards had rotted to the outside and you could see through.
We currently don't have a window, just a tarp stapled to the house. The biggest issue is the house only has the one bathroom, so we don't have a shower now. A friend had offered us her house to go shower at because they are gone for the summer, but we never ended up getting their key, and I had forgot about it, so yesterday when everything was torn out Rhett was shocked when I told him our shower hook-up fell through. I wasn't worried and told him my Grandma didn't shower her whole mission in Denmark because their bathroom was a toilet and a sink, so it worked out, and it was actually kind of fun to bathe from the kitchen sink, kind of like camping inside or something. We become more white trash each week I guess. Another friend has offered her house for the future, which we are thankful for.
Hopefully in a few days we'll have some pictures to post of our new beautiful bathroom, and so far despite the frustrating situations, we've been getting along great together--meaning Rhett is being really patient with me and my thinking I know how things should be done, when lets face it, I have no clue!

2 comments:

The Wilkins' said...

So excited about your blog! I love it! I miss you already. Hopefully you're holding down the fort in K'ville. Please use our shower!!!! The offer is always there. Can't wait to see pics of the new bathroom.

jamesecook fam said...

Jessica, what a cute blog, you are amazing, always doing something constructive. Hey, Megan Wilson (lamoreaux) said she saw you in Nauvoo. I check your blog on occasion. I have a blog but nothing is on it yet. it's jecook.family@blogspot.com